From:
Richmond Ferret Rescue League <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 23:36:43 GMT
Hi FML'ers

I had the opportunity to attend the H.H. Backer Pet Industry Christmas show
that was held in Chicago, IL. 10/1- 10/3.

I was thrilled to meet Jeanne Carley of The Ferret Company (absolutely
beautiful photos!) and Kurt Peterson of F.U.R.R.Y.  It's always a treat to
speak with ferret-intelligent folks!  I also had the chance to visit with
Marshall Farms and Path Valley who both had booths at the show.  I think I
share similar feelings towards Marshall Farms as do most of the ferret
shelters, but I have to admit that my conversations with the MF
representatives were enlightening and informative.  According to one of the
reps, MF is funding Dr. Charles Weiss's adrenal studies.  I am curious to
find out if this is true.  I had heard that MF supplied the ferrets for the
rabies testing so that we now have Imrab for ferrets.  The MF rep that I
spent the most time with was very ferret-knowledgeable- she stated that
they want to work with vets and shelters, but that they have a hard time
with vets , etc that continually "slam" them but who do not propose any
solutions or ideas for correcting problems.  And that if enough vets truly
think that early neuter & spaying practices do indeed cause problems then
they need to hear from these vets.  She also said that when they are
contacted with a problem that they do not know the answer, their response
is to try to refer this person to a shelter because, as the rep put it,
"you guys see everything".  The 4 kits they had with them at the show were
a good size, looked to be approximately 7-8 weeks old.  They were
well-cared for at the show and were active and playing frequently, with
plenty of fresh softened food and water available.  They also had a clean
blanket each day to cuddle on.  MF has also just finished a new ferret
information brochure for pet stores to send out with each new kit.  The new
brochure is easy to read and has valuable care and feeding information for
the new owner.

Path Valley, on the other hand, had a large booth with a huge banner that
read "NO RESEARCH FERRETS".  This was their only logo.  Young booth
attendants took turns passing around the kits they had brought with them.
These kits were substantially smaller in size than the MF kits.  They all
had dried, darkened, mucous crusts around their tiny nostrils.  They had
large bellies with what looked like protruding (prolapsed?) rectums.  They
tried to sleep, but were continually awakened and passed out to be held by
the attending crowd.  The Path Valley reps were telling anyone who would
listen that NONE of their ferrets had adrenal gland problems.  I have 2
Path Valley ferrets at my shelter now, one of which is a 1 1/2 yr.  old
female who just had an adrenal surgery 3 weeks ago.  The pathology report
that came back states that she did indeed have a tumor on her adrenal
gland.  The other PV ferret has what our vet thinks is a congenital defect
with his jaw.  He cannot open his mouth more than 1/2".

I also spoke with several pet store owners about there recent experiences
with MF and PV ferrets.  One pet store (on the West Coast) said that they
had to "replace" 65 MFferrets last year due to illness.  Whether this was
from MF or from the pet store's lack of care I do not know.  This same pet
store said that they still buy Marshall's ferrets because PV ferrets,
Canadian ferrets, and Triple F ferrets all cost too much.  They also said
that the Canadian ferrets were mean as hell.  Another store said that they
liked the MF ferts, that they had no problems with them.  They did say that
they had a PV rep show them a nice, sturdy 8-10 week old kit that the store
owners felt was a good size and age to sell to the public.  They placed
their order with PV, but when the kits arrived the store owners were
saddened to see teeny, tiny kits that they felt were too young to sell.

These observations are only what I saw and heard at this convention.  I'd
like to think we can work together to help ALL breeding facilities IMPROVE
their care, medical practices, and breeding lines so that we do not have so
many ferrets becoming ill at early ages.  It seems to me that half the
battle is in educating the new ferret owners so that earlier diagnosis's
can be made with all sick ferrets, and that the new owners are educated
toknow how to care and properly feed a ferret.  A good diet is essential
to a ferret's health.

I though other ferret owners would be interested in what I found at the
show.  I still have conflicting feelings about these breeders, but I hope
one day that we'll all be on the same side- the ferret's side.

Dooks to all, and God bless all the shelter workers and ferts that need a
loving home.

Marlene Blackburn
Richmond Ferret Rescue League.
Richmond, VA.