From:
Jennifer Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 21:18:40 -0400
My 5 year old (his name is Screech) was just diagnosed with diabetes.  He is
being treated by a reputable vet and I have no doubts about his diagnosis.
His fasting glucose this morning was 500.  He is drinking excessive amounts
of water.

Screech had surgery approximately 4 months ago for Insulinoma.  Rather than
having several small tumors, he had one large one, which was removed.  He
recovered quickly.  I don't know if his surgery is relevant or not.

He gradually started showing signs that something was wrong.  Nothing that
set off bells and whistles though.  This past Thursday evening he was pretty
out of it and I made an appointment with my vet.  Friday evening he could
not walk with his back legs.  I took him in this morning (Saturday).  As
said before, his fasting glucose was 500.  Since diabetes in ferrets is so
rare, there is no apparent protocol for insulin treatment.  He was given 1
unit of NPH U100 at 11:00 a.m.  He showed no signs of improvement and after
checking in with the vet, I gave him 2 units at 6:00 p.m.

Yesterday he was eating on his own and now I am force feeding him.  It is
8:00 p.m.  and there are still no signs of improvement.  He will not move
except to drag himself into his blanket.

If ANYONE has any experience treating a ferret with diabetes PLEASE PLEASE
tell me what kind of insulin you used, how much, and how often.  My vet has
consulted with other DVM's and has yet to find anyone who has treated it
recently.  The last case was 5 years ago and the insulin used at that time
is no longer made.  Any information is greatly appreciated.  My email
address is: [log in to unmask]

I have never posted here before, but I have enjoyed reading what everyone
has to say about their ferrets for a few months now.  I have had Screech
since he was eight weeks old, and have lost two other ferrets to illnesses.
I'm so afraid I may lose Screech too.