Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:15:49 -0700
Out of the house that is....

This morning I reassembled a large (3'x2.5'x5') cage that I had taken out
of the ferrets room, and removed the bottom of it, and decided I would
place it on the lawn, and get the 'weasel-bugs' out in the nice fresh air!

Cage was strategically placed in the shade of the lilac bush, and staked to
the ground.  A litterpan and food and water were placed on the 2nd level.
A bed and some blankets and towels were on the 3rd level.  The ground level
was...well, ground!  I placed a tub 'o dirt in there, and a open bottomed
box to allow entry into the dirt, and the rest was just grass....

Got a chair, and a big Sky kennel (in case I had to evacuate in a hurry)
and camera, and the ever present paper towels....

Then 4 trips later, all 14 of the 'Yakimaniacs' were under blue skies!
(Yes, there are 15, but only 14 can be out together..)

The initial excitement of being out (I guess) caused a major 'poop-fest'
but that subsided, and they took to tunneling.  There was a steady relay
of diggers in the hole they started...(and I discovered later, there was a
2nd hole started in the box (where I couldn't see...even tho I was right
there!))  Little devils!!

I soon realized the lawn wasn't going to tolerate this sort of activity
every day, so I began to think.....

Soon, the lightbulb lit, and I got all the ferrets back indoors, and went
off to the Co-Op, where I purchased a 6' diameter by 2' deep round stock
tank.  That now is next to the garage on the west side of the yard
(shadiest...) with a few inches of dirt in the bottom, and the cage set
in the middle of the tank!  I will be adding more dirt, to make it a
diggers delight, but they can now all go outside...Safely!

That's it from the  'We are getting back to nature.....Yakimaniacs'