From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:41:56 -0500
The Cleveland Plain Dealer is publishing a series of articles this week
called "Throwaway pets: How we break our bond".  The Sunday issue focused
on animal shelters.  Today's articles are about Ohio's animal cruelty
laws, or lack thereof.  Ohio's laws are considered by many the laxest in
the country, and efforts are once again underway to change this.  Links
to some of the newspaper articles are listed below.

State Senator David Goodman is introducing a bill that will strengthen
penalties for abuse, and define animal neglect.  "For the first time,
cats and dogs will have a legal right to enough food and water, proper
ventilation, shelter, exercise and living space." NOT covered are farm
or work animals, including hunting dogs.

I spoke to someone in Sen Goodman's office, and the wording of the bill
is actually to cover all companion animals that live in the home, thus
ferrets would be included.  Note that some Amish use ferrets in their barn
as ratters, and trying to include them would weaken chances of passing the
bill.  It is the very strong farm lobby that has blocked passage of such
bills in the past, hence the exclusion of working and farm animals.

The bill will be introduced on Jan 24.  It will be online shortly
thereafter, I'll post the link when I have it.  Sen Goodman's office
suggested people write letters to the editor of their papers in support
of the bill, as well as contacting their state representative and
expressing support.

The paper says you can contact your state rep by calling 800-282-0253.
Sen Goodman's office can be reached at 614-466-8064.

Overcrowded, overwhelmed
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/
html_standard.xsl?/base/living/10103130122136138.xml

Even exotic pets lose their appeal
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/
html_standard.xsl?/base/living/10103130132136139.xml

Cruelty law one of nation's weakest
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/
html_standard.xsl?/base/living/10103994291831488.xml

Animal and human abuse linked
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/
html_standard.xsl?/base/living/101040660047101.xml

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH