From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:22:23 -0000
I would like to ask for advice from any of the veterinarians out there as
well as any of you ferret experts.  Here is my dilemma:

Gismo has just been diagnosed as having an adrenal gland problem.  He is
four years old, had surgery for insulinoma in January of this year, and his
blood sugar level currently stands at 63.  Some days, he is quite active,
others, he prefers to sleep a little more.  He is currently on 3/4 of a 5mg
tablet of prednisone once daily, and takes .1cc of proglycem twice daily.
My vet advised me of my two choices: surgery or not to have surgery.  He
recommends surgery.  My request for advice is this: with Gismo's blood sugar
being at the reduced level that it is, how much more of a risk will that
pose than if his blood sugar level were more normal?  I realize that the
longer I put this off, the risk becomes greater.  I guess I am still very
paranoid when surgery is mentioned, especially after what happened with
Buddy.  (For those of you who did not read Margaret's Babies: Buddy was
diagnosed as having kidney/bladder stones, the x-rays showed something
there, however, when the surgery was performed, the mass turned out to be
fatty tissue.  Buddy was not able to recuperate from the stress of the
surgery and only lived for a month afterwards.).

My vet has contacted Dr Rosenthal of New York and obtained her diagnosis.
She also recommended surgery.

I guess I already know the answer in regards to my decision, but that does
not make it any easier,  however, I still would like to get some input from
you experts out there.

Thank you

A ferret Friend

Margaret and her babies