Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:42:47 EDT
Anne asked:
>anyone had noticed any co-relation between hyper ferrets and adrenal
>problems.

Not here - in fact most of my adrenal ferrets are the most calm, loving
ferrets - before and after surgery.  In only one case can I remember
having a 'scrape the ferret off the ceiling' attitude in a ferret that was
diagnosed with adrenals later...I tend to see more females than males with
adrenals, and more males than females with insulinoma, but I think thats
just a coincidence.  So many ferrets are released to the shelter because of
these problems that I feel its probably skewing the numbers just a bit.

Tanya wrote:
>In my opinion showing is it's own form of animal abuse and simply an
>owners own ego.  Animals were never created to be the "perfect" specimen.
>It has been mankind that has taken this *hobby* to limits of overbreeding,
>inbreeding, and proliferation for the sake of the perfect animal.

Well, I have to disagree - I've been attending shows for at least 4 years
and judging for 3 (I think) -- and while there are some ferrets that should
have been left at home, most *enjoy* the show -- the smells, the new place,
meeting new people -- I enjoyed going at first just to see all of the
different types of ferrets and owners that would be there.  The ferrets
that I took to the shows had a good temperament - they loved attention and
people.  I would never have taken for showing a ferret that didnt seem to
like being there.

Breeding is another issue - and one that I don't think is a right/wrong
issue.  I believe that all breeders can help the species, as long as they
are conscientious and careful.  Waardenburg is a somewhat new issue -
but how many of us can say that we would pass up an adorable
panda/blaze/mutt/wannabe ferret for a 'plain' sable?  We are all to 'blame'
for asking/demanding/purchasing these colors.  If we want to try and
strengthen the lines and minimize WS, then we need to stop rewarding those
that breed indiscriminately for these colors, regardless of genetic defects
that may be getting passed on and reward those that are tracking lines and
culling undesirable traits.  I'm not immune to these WS kids - just check
out my own personal ferrets - 2 silver mitts, 1 silver,1 sable with white
knee patches and a black sable.  So I am just as responsible for the
continuation of the problem as anyone.

I believe that if the more experienced breeders assist one another in
preventing mistakes that they may have made in the past with the more
novice breeders, that it will help.  Exchanging information could help
so much!

As a shelter, I have had 'recycles' -- ferrets that came into the shelter,
adopted out and came back again, for whatever reason.  These ferrets were
all early altered ferrets, so it isn't just a problem with breeder ferrets.
Thankfully, there aren't too many hobby breeders in my area, so whole
ferrets are the exception, not the norm.  As long as the breeder in
question takes back their ferrets without exception, I don't have a problem
with them breeding -- unless its too the detriment of the ferret.  There
is no magic number of ferrets that cause overload/burnout - its different
for every household.  I can hope that all who shelter, breed and own are
cognizant of this and do their best to prevent it.

>Jennifer Strickland
>One more thing: I think that show judges in the shows by any group should
>be able to disqualify ferrets which show malformations or known genetic
>problems except from the handicapped categories.  That would even extend
>to having ALL disqualified and if such things existed.  IT WOULD PROMOTE
>IMPROVED HEALTH IN FERRETS!

  and

>From:    "Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Disqualifying genetic problems
>The only "genetic problem" ferrets that are permitted in show rings are
>those ferrets displaying a Waardenburg pattern.  In my opinion, it is time
>that we consider whether these patterns should be encouraged, but that's
>only my opinion.

I do believe that its time for just this too happen - phase out the 'mutt'
and 'panda/blaze' rings - OR leave them in place in specialty and dock
points on them in Championship.  Some mitts also can be WS - as can be
sables and other colors where knee patches and white toes pop up.  This
would mean all judging standards would need to be reworked to penalize
ferrets for inappropriate white areas.  We can do this - collectively.
Whether its the AFA, LIFE, or any other judging standard and I do think
that its time.

I think disqualification is a little harsh for genetic malformations and
genetic problems - the owners may be unaware (first time show folks)
and the standards for judging should be in place for not rewarding bad
ribcages, crooked/malformed noses and jaws, etc.  Championship rings in
particular, pay particular attention to conformation -- and would keep
these ferrets from placing.  Specialty rings place less (or none, depending
on the standard of judging) on conformation, so these ferrets may do well
if they best match the color or pattern for that ring.  I had an absolutely
adorable panda/blaze with WS signatures all over - short, fused tail, wide
spaced eyes, etc - who took first place trophies.  Responsible judges and
standards will help -- and we should always be striving for that.