From:
"Henry Lee Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:39:44 EDT
The Mad Biter

I have two ferrets, both 4 months old.  An Albino and a Sable, named Frodo
and Bilbo respectively.  They are both males (God help me).

Bilbo is a definate wise-guy, but in the whole, a great Ferret.  Frodo is
semi-aloof, but also a great ferret.  The problem is with the albino,
Frodo.  He has this tendency to bite ... and hard ... at random non-sensicle
moments.  He only likes human skin unfortunately.

I began with soft taps on the nose as a pup and a firm "no!"

No avail.

I then moved to other methods.  Cage time, Holding his mouth closed,
sticking my finger in his mouth (which they do not like), scruffing, and
even combinations!

I finally resorted to sour Apple, which he despises, but it hasnt helped.
When he bites, i grab him, and squirt a little sour apple in his mouth with
a firm "No!".  He jumps around, trying to run it off his mouth, and
definately hates the stuff (and all the other mentioned punishments), but it
wont stop him from his biting.

The sad part is that i can tell he doesnt know what he is doing wrong.  He
bites to say hello, its very odd.  He is a very smart ferret, gets into
anything I dont want him to, and escapes all sorts of ferret-proof areas,
so i know he isn't a bonehead, yet at the same time, he cant seem to figure
out whats wrong with this skin-biting.

Other notes:

1. he only goes for skin. Ankles, forearms and fingers.
2. He does it occasionally to get attention, but just as often when you are
   holding him or giving him attention.
3. He averages one bite per hour playing session (roughly)
4. He has broken skin twice (my little brother). Nothing serious, but
   annoying none the less, making me leary with him and guests.

I look forward to any suggestions you may have for my cute litte bite beast.

You can email to [log in to unmask]

Thanks

Henry Lee
Trumbull, Connecticut