From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:57:00 EDT
>Mr. Lipinski is certain that the response of the ferret in the remote
>bedroom was without a doubt that of a predator going after prey - prey
>in this case being the infant.

>Consider 1. We don't know how deeply rooted in the ferret's psyche is
>its response to prey, whether stimulated by sound, smell, sight, either
>individually or any combination thereof.  One thing here: we don't know
>if it's innate curiosity or a surge to kill that's motivating the
>ferret.

You seem to contradict yourself here.  On the one hand, the ferret was
"without a doubt" going after prey, but you don't know if it's innate
curiosity?  It seems to me that wild animals don't go after prey just for
curiosity's sake, unless they're young and learning to hunt.  Wild animals
go after prey to kill.

>2.  We don't know the true basic nature of the ferret since the vast
>majority have been butchered prepubertic by the ferret mills and by owners
>who insist that ferrets be fixed as soon as possible.  All of us know that
>the behavior of a fixed ferret is quite different compared to an intact
>ferret, the latter considered more aggressive.

Hmm.  Not in MY experience -- only during the hob's seasonal horniness
have I noticed that.  And also notice how I qualify that with the term
"my experience," something you may want to consider when posting your
*opinions.*

>From:    Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
>First, I see this theory being formed on 3 conclusions: 1) a single
>incident involving one ferret, 2) second hand information about the
>incident coupled with limited observation, and 3) a giant leap from
>instinctual behavior to evolutionary changes.

Bravo. Again, as I've said, Mr. Lipinski has never visited MY home.

I'd like some scientific facts to back up some of these claims that are
being made, and not just experience with hobbies.  Who knows what CA DFG
official may be reading this list, rubbing his/her hands together
gleefully, saying "Gee, that just proves our point"?

Amy, Dave and Sarah (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra