From:
- Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:55:39 EDT
Hi everyone. I hope you all had a loving and serene weekend.

In reading the FML, I sometimes come across people writing about a
shelter in a way that might inspire a number of people not to help that
shelter out anymore.  There are so few ferret shelters and so many more
people buying ferrets.  I was just wondering if people could try
something so as not to hurt a shelter.

If there is something you feel is amiss with a shelter, perhaps phone
calls or emails to that shelter to express concerns could come before
putting its standing in jeopardy?

Since Sept.  11th, 2001, life has taken a down word spiral for many.
People lost a fortune in the stock market, lost their jobs...and many
have lost their homes in the floods and hurricaines that have besieged
the world.  Donations are at an all time low.

You would not believe how imperfect shelter operators can be.  They are
not accountants.  They are made up of people who make mistakes and get
sick and lose jobs and get divorced.  Some are in pain every day of their
lives.  Every step is difficult.

I once had a serious issue going some years ago.  I saw the person.  I
emailed the board members multiple times.  I sent certified letters....
for Over one year.  But it never dawned on me to say anything negative
before I tried everything I could.  And even then...if it had not
involved other people, I would have just walked away......because a
ferret shelter saves the lives of the animals we love.

Perhaps we could try volunteering at a place we are concerned about.  Or
we could meet with the owner.  You know...options other than putting the
shelter in a negative light in front of a few thousand people.

You would not believe the politics or the waste or some of the really
scary volunteers out there or some of the policies of shelters around
here.  I really do not think you would actually believe what I have seen.
But those cat and dog shelters around here save the lives of hundreds of
cats and dogs every year.  I would not do anything to lesson the chances
of these shelters for survival.  But I do wonder how they even stay in
business.

Yet they do!!  And thank God for that.

Please...perhaps we could not write negative things about a shelter
before we had first tried our best to keep an open mind, and kindly
express our concerns to the shelter?

Just my thoughts.
Lisette