Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 17:56:58 -0400
Hi everyone!!!  I have an MF male ferret who is whole enough to have sperm,
but not whole enough for the testicular tissue producing it to be found.  I
took Weehawk to Dr.  Dutton in N.H.  in May for surgery for a possible
adrenal tumor and it turned out that the reason he was randy was because he
was not entirely fixed.  Dr.  Dutton operated on him for an hour trying to
find out where the sperm was coming from and did not find anything, so now
he is recommending trying ovaban to lessen weehawks randiness.  I also have
a female mf ferret, silk (both are about 1 1/2 yrs old).  The main problem
is that weehawk has fits of ear sucking and attempting to mount poor silk,
who squeeks and hisses and is very upset by the whole idea.  I was putting
bitter apple on silk's ears every evening to lessen the battles, but now I
have separated them because it doesn't seem fair to have her have to live
with this pest, so they only get together at play time, and then they seem
to fully enjoy each others company.  My questions are: Can others out there
with whole ferrets tell me whether he will ever leave her alone?  Is there
a season when they are worse?  Is there any other way to discourage him
from bothering her?  Can he hurt her if I do leave them together, as in
hoping they will work out a solution on their own?
AND
has anyone else out there tried ovaban, or found another solution to a
whole male who can't be fixed?  Weehawk also does the sopping ear treatment
to another MF male who comes over to play, so it isn't restricted to
females, and he plays fine for about 1 hr.  and then he gets overly
interested in sucking on their ears and being on top :( He doesn't seem to
smell much more than the fixed male who visits, so I don't know if that
means he is just a little bit whole, but I would love to know of what other
people are doing with whole males who can't be fixed, and if he is in any
danger from this odd state.  thanks for being here!  And my condolences to
all who have lost fuzzies!
Sorry I didn't make it to the Mass. gathering, I would love to meet
some more fml'ers :)
krystal in vermont
with weehawk the randy and silk the climber (cause weehawk can't!)