From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:05:24 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Krazy Kritter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet insurance that does cover ferrets!
>If you're really looking for pet insurance for your ferrets I did find a
>company that does cover ferrets....

Just a little history on pet insurance.  In the last 30 years there have
been over 40 companies that have offered pet insurance and then went out of
business.  The economics of the business makes it difficult for small
compnaies to make a go of it.  Even Firemans Fund gave up a few years ago
and they are a large company.  Most insurances cover only catastrophic
illness and not routine vaccines, exams, etc.  They have a relatively high
deductible ($100-250) and are a co-pay (80 - 90 %).

>From:    Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vitamin A toxicity?
>A week or two ago, I got a call from a woman who was concerned about her 2
>year old gib.  Last fall he had been very sick, and run up $700 in vet
>bills.  Symptoms included loss of appetite, poor coat, lethargy, shedding,

Yes, a fat soluble vitamin toxicitty is very possible at the recommended
dose of Ferratone.  That's why it is recommended to cut the Ferratone with
olive oil.

>From:    Marvin R Meints <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ?'s
>We have two ferrets on boy and a girl.
>The boy is about 10 weeks old and just lost a tooth while playing with me.
>It came out quickly and painlessly and didn't bother him at all-a few hours

It probably was a baby tooth and it's okay just to monitor it.  As for the
female, yes stress could have played a role.  I would get her seen by your
vet since she has stopped eating.

>From:    Scott lehman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: It finally happened
>Well, it finally happened.  I suppose that I was under the impression that
>some things only happen to others and could never happen to one of my
>babies.  Well, was I ever wrong.  I am referring to vaccination reaction...

If you did not pre-medicate him with an antihistamine and the reaction was
mild, I would consider vaccinating him next year (after pre-medicating).  If
severe reaction and he is not apt to be exposed to distemper (doesn't go to
see other ferrets, no dogs in the house, you don't handle other ferrets,
etc.), you might consider not vaccinating him.

>From:    Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Esme' Is Having Falling Spells
>On Wednesday evening, while my mother, sister and niece were playing with
>the Fur Posse prior to celebrating my mother's 76th, Esme's hind end fell to

If she is getting better, I would monitor her for now.  Any type of illness
s can cause rear limb weakness, with insulinoma being the most common.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA