From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:56:11 -0700
1st of all - I would like to say to BIG, I hope that you allow this
subject to really get hashed out. I know when I took McKay ferrets
earlier this year, I took a pretty good beating by several people about
the difference between a purchase & a rescue as did others. Then the
toipc in general, became closed as it was getting pretty ugly on the
FML. I found that with my own expereince, as well as now with Lori's
HUGE intake, that a lot of people speak as if they know things to be
fact when they have no basis for the belief.

The rumor mill is alive and well on this topic and I, like everyone
else who has an ounce of concern for these ferrets, have been reading
and listening to it all. Unless I know something to be FACT though, I
try not to perform any public floggings!!

I was outraged by the conditions at McKay's both times I went there. I
felt the man had no business owning a ferret if he thought that these
conditions were acceptable. I also had some compassion for the man -
that's just who I am and I don't have any problem with people who are
not able to muster that same feeling.

I went to Lori's yesterday along with a couple members of my board.
We went to get some ferrets so that we can get them spayed/neutered,
socialized, birth some kits and get these kids into loving homes as
we did with the ones we took in March & April.

I went there with all the gossip in my head - news from people who
spoke as if they absolutely knew what the agreement between the McKay
family and Lori was. And as inany of the "telephone games"....those
beliefs that others proposed ot me as truth turned out to be quite
different the actual facts presented by Lori.

I can share a few realizations with you:
- She took on quite a challenge here folks. I don't know of a larger
  intake of ferrets ever.
- There was an extremely good reason that this all went down at exactly
  the time that it did
- I believe when people finally hear the facts FROM LORI, they
  will feel more of a sense of relief that many things were done as
  correctly and thouroughly as possible.

I had written to Lori pleading with her to clear it all up rumors a
couple days ago but now I can see that THERE IS VALID REASON FOR THOSE
DETAILS NOT BE MADE PUBLIC YET AND I ASK THAT YOU TRUST THAT THIS IS
SO. I'm sure she would love for all the talk to stop but there are
reasons that she cannot clarify quite yet.

There are always going to be cases where we can each pick apart an
event like this and think of ways we'd have done things differently.
We'll have that luxury when it's our event I guess - but I have to say,
after my visit and discussion yesterday, I think Lori has done the best
that was possible giving the timing and circumstances that existed.

Have a little patience if you could - I think most people will have at
least a sense of understanding of why things have been done as they
were and will choose to support this effort in any way they can once
the facts can be disclosed regardless of whether or not there's things
you would have done differently.

We drove a few hundred miles yesterday and picked up 16 ferrets. Some
hobs, some jills - a few of which may be pregnant. Now our fun begins
with socializing, vetting, spay/neuter, kit birthing & raising, finding
adoptive homes, etc.

Those 16, although they will be a considerable expense & job for us, is
a drop in the bucket as far as what's still there. I strongly recommend
backing this situation in any way that you can.

Lori - you did what you felt had to be done under the circumstances - I
commend you for taking the action.

This doesn't mean that I extend any less support to my friends who have
been working tirelessly for months to make this same thing happen in a
different way - many of whom are not in a legal battle in their effort
to help these ferrets - it jsut means we have to deal with things the
way they are today.

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY