From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:08:06 -0500
Some interesting points have been made!  How can they be turned into
CONSTRUCTIVE ideas for progress?

At 3:30 AM -0500 12/14/01, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>From:    William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
>Interestingly enough, everything P. told you is exactly what we have
>been saying for years.

That is true, and so have multiple other people who have checked into
allegations been saying the same things, but it IS always good for more
folks to have a better understanding and some progress toward a better
future through those folks talking and learning.

>You can NOT speak for shelters!  You do NOT run a shelter.  You have NOT
>in any way been chosen by any shelter that I know of as a spokesperson.
>Do NOT select yourself!  We are sure most shelter operators are unhappy
>with the deaths of the retired breeders but you are not the one that can
>volunteer our services.
>
>This has been discussed several times.  Are you sure that those of us who
>do run shelters are willing to take on the numbers of ferrets involved?  I
>am quite sure that many of us can not possibly afford to do this.  We will
>not do it for the small time hobby breeders, why should we do this for the
>ranches?  If we insist on this for Marshall will we also do this for all
>of the other ranches?  Most shelters are already heavily over loaded with
>the sources of adoptable ferrets we already have.  This proposal will
>greatly increase the work load of an already overburdened set of people
>that do way too much as is.

Truly excellent points, if strongly made.  From past conversations:
one already does take in such retirees, some were/are(?) interested,
some would like to but can't afford to in time or money, some are so
overwhelmed already that they shudder at the idea of being asked.

I don't think that anyone was trying to speak to shelters; I think that a
hope was raised and that made a statement read a bit differently than it
was meant.

>This problem with botched surgeries is isolated geographically.  Why is
>it such a problem in Washington but not elsewhere in the country?

WOW!  That is an excellent observation.  I wonder why?  Fakes, perhaps?
Sandi sure ran into some in that region.

>When you approach them in a reasonable way they have always been
>reasonable in response.

That has also been my experience.