From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:35:39 -0000
The New Arrivals-1986

Lady and Rascal were going to become parents!  We monitored Lady's pregnancy
very closely and were watchful for any signs of problems.  She ate more,
slept more and kept getting bigger!  The closer it came to the time for the
arrival of the babies, the more she slowed down.  She would waddle for a
short distance and roll over on her back so she could get her tummy rubbed.
Rascal just watched and waited from the side lines.

The big day finally arrived--May 19. Eight beautiful little fuzzies were
born.  They were so tiny and were pink with a soft white covering of  fur
somewhat similar to that of peachfuzz.  They were adorable.  They also made
a lot of noise to be such tiny little creatures.

Lady suddenly became the ferret from hell.  She attacked everyone but her
humans.  Rascal learned to stay far away from the babies' room.  The cats
either perched high out of her reach or stayed outdoors where they felt
safe.  The dog was constantly being bitten and could not get out of her line
of fire except for when outside.

Within a few days, their fur began to change from white to a soft chocolate
brown.  They were growing quite rapidly.  Scott and I provided lots of hands
on attention while Lady provided lots of maternal care.  Rascal continued to
watch and wait from the sidelines!

Between six and seven weeks of age, their eyes began to open.  They were
already being fed some soft food in addition to what they were receiving
from their mother.  Scott said that it was time to place an ad in order to
sell the babies.  I did not want to part with my children!  He continued to
insist that I place an ad.  I finally did as he asked, however, I
"sabotaged" the ad and placed it in an obscure little local newsletter that
few people read.  Two babies were sold, much to my dismay, but they each
went to good homes.  Both new owners had brought their ferrets with them in
order that I could see that they were being well cared for.  I obtained
their names, addresses, and phone numbers as well as a promise that should
they ever need to place the animal, I would have the first opportunity to
purchase it back.

The babies continued to grow and were a real delight.  Rascal moved away
from the sidelines and helped Lady teach them everything a young ferret
should know, ie: the proper technique of plant digging, how to quickly steal
the insoles from the pet's shoes, sock stashing, remote control rustling,
and how to look very cute in front of the refrigerator in order to get a
treat of whipped cream.

The boys: Yogi, Precious and Boo Boo were always harassing the girls:
Spirit, Sweetcakes, and Button.  They loved to jump on one of the girls and
just laid on top of her so she couldn't move.  The girls hated this little
game!

I learned that washing machines and ferrets don't mix.  As I was doing
laundry one day, the most horrible screaming began.  I ran to the washing
machine and quickly turned it off.  The screaming continued.  I lifted the
machine up and shoved a food dish under the corner to keep it propped up
while I reached underneath and removed a very frightened Boo Boo.  He had a
small cut underneath his right arm.  He was whimpering and shaking
uncontrollably.  I finally got him calmed down and his cut medicated.  I
removed the food dish and lowered the washing machine.  (I have tried to
move the machine since and I can't budge the darn thing--adrenalin came to
my aid that day!).  Shortly afterwards, I came home to find the last inch of
Boo Boo's tail to be broken.  We assumed that he got it caught in a cupboard
door or something.  That last inch of tail eventually came off.  Boo Boo's
name was changed to Lucky.

The twins arrive and tragedy falls upon us in the next chapter.

Margaret, Harley, Scooter, Coco, Merlin, Rusty, Fancy, Princess and Gismo
        (and Scott, who has "misplaced" the insoles to his shoes again)