From:
Dawn Zelner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:36:27 EST
My name is Dawn.  I am new to the list and have a problem, so here goes: I
have a 16 month old albino male ferret.  His name is Shmoo.  Four months
ago, I started noticing hair loss on his back, close to the tail.  I took
him to the vet and the vet recommended Ferretone oil.  He said this is 1
sympton of adrenal tumors, but in his entire experience with ferrets, he
never saw adrenal tumors in a ferret this young.  He told me to give it to
him everyday and bring him back in 6 weeks.  I took him back, and there was
no significant hair growth.  The vet said to keep giving the Ferretone and
bring him back in another 6 weeks.  Well, I just took him back for his 2nd 6
week follow up and the vet said he still doesn't see any significant hair
growth, so he wants to "open him up."

He has not lost any weight since I noticed the hair loss.  He is extremely
playful with my other ferret Huey.  He eats alot, drinks normal and has no
trouble at all with urination or bowel movements.  He sleeps the normal
amount of time he always has, and is always the first one awake to play when
I come into the room.

Is there any other way to diagnose an adrenal tumor without exploratory
surgery?  An x-ray, blood work?  I just can't believe that if my ferret did
have an adrenal tumor, that he would only be showing one sign - 1 patch of
hair loss near his tail on his back.

I dread the emotional turmoil this is going to cause.  I have already lost a
ferret of 9 years to "minor surgery" and I don't think I can stomach the
thought of a vet opening my baby.

Any suggestions or help?

Thanks!

Dawn Zelner

P.S.  Any response via e-mail personally, or to the list is GREATLY
appreciated.