From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1992 11:59:26 -0500
Subject:  Ferret List Issue 364

> I can't give you a list of same, but Path Valley Farms is in Willow Hill,
> PA.  (For those unaware, Path Valley is one of the largest ferret
> breeders in the country.)

This is where most "pet store" ferrets come from.  Marshall Farms (NY?)
and them are the main suppliers to pet stores and research facilities.
They mass breed kits, alter them and have them in the pet stores by the
time they are 5 weeks old.  Definately not an ethical breeding practice!

A female spay is pretty major surgery, definately not for an infant kit.
And males will grow to up to twice as large if you allow them to remain
whole until sexually mature, this makes you wonder what altering them
so young does to their skeleton and internal organs!  The simple fact
is that animals need the hormones produced from having their sexual
organs intact in order to develop properly.

Some people estimate that convenience kits have their life spans cut
by up to 4 years.  Others will oppose this vehemently.  But it still
makes you wonder if there is any truth to it, and is it really a
risk you want to take???

If you have the choice, adopt from a shelter first.  Rescuing a
ferret is of utmost importance, and you don't have to worry about
all the other stuff.  But, if you really want a kit, adopt from a
respectible breeder, and allow them to remain whole until sexual
maturity.  Only remember, if you get a female, she must be altered
or bred or *SHE WILL DIE*!  (O.K., yes there's also an injection that
will take her out of heat, but it's not a good long term solution)

Back to the advantages of shelter ferrets...  Remember, ferrets adapt
very well.  So it isn't vitally important that you get a kit in
order for it to bond to you.  The ferret will be just as attached
to you if you get it at 6 years old as if you get it at 6 weeks old!
Please adopt from shelters!  There are *SO* many wonderful, loving,
playful ferrets that desperately need a home.  They aren't just
abused, sick, mean ferrets.  The vast majority of them have absolutely
wonderful personalities.  Even the ones that come in with "attitude
problems" usually turn into sweethearts with a little love and
attention!

If you have the time and love, there are also many
elderly ferrets that have lost their homes.  They desperately need
someone to love them, but it's difficult to find someone with that
kind of devotion.  But if you want a young ferret, the majority come
in at about 1 - 1 1/2 (you know, the obnoxious "teenage" period.  :) ).

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree