From:
David Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 22:25:45 -0800
Today I was intrigued by a person who used the word "ferret" as a verb!  He
was refering to finding something by having to "ferret it out" of his house.
This prompted me to get out the dictionaries:

Websters:
Ferret ... noun = a slim, lithe animal used to hunt rabbits and rats.

verb = to drive out of a hiding place; search out, as a criminal or a secret.

Another edition of Websters:
noun = little thief.  1. a partially domesticated usually albino European
polecat that is sometimes classified as a separate species (Mustela furo)
and is used especially for hunting rodents. 2. An active and persistent
searcher.
verb = 1.  To hunt with ferrets.  2.  to drive from covert.  3.  to find and
bring to light by searching - usually used with "out" as in "ferret out."

Well isn't this interesting...

David Doyle
http://home.aol.com/wildsidepu