From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 07:24:18 -0400
>From:    Staudt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Training Ferrets to Come
>Hi all!  I would like to train my ferrets to come to the sound of a squeaky
>toy or ball.  It sounds like it could come in very handy, especially for
>Meep the escape artist.  Any suggestions on HOW to do this?

It's very simple, if they have a treat that they like.  They're VERY fast
learners... at least when it comes to getting treats. :-)  Have them gather
'round for their treat, squeak the toy and then give them the treat.  If it
takes more than two or three times of doing this before they learn to come
a runnin' to that sound, then I'd wonder if they're deaf.

I used to keep treats in a kitchen drawer, and mine quickly learned the
sound of that drawer opening.  If I wanted to get something beside a treat
out of that drawer, I had to open it in slow motion to keep them from
gathering around looking for their treat.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: litter box warning, starting ferret org for Ia, ferret sitting
>First, i just wanted to relay something that happened, to save any other
>ferrets.  Our albino fuzzbutt, Bailey, prematurely crossed the rainbow
>bridge because of our litter box and me not paying enough attention

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey. This is not meant as a condemnation, but
how could this happen?  Can you be more specific about what kind of litter
box this is?  I can't imagine any litter box being big and heavy enough to
cause something like this, so it must be a peculiar kind of box.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org