From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:35:28 -0400
>From:    Marion Houle  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: adrenal ferret getting fur back and fighting it out
>My little ferret Thelma has been in for surgery for adrenal twice.  (I have
>posted about this before).  They found nothing!!
>
>It has been two weeks and 3 days since her last surgery.  Suddenly I have
>noticed that her vulva is not as swollen and she is starting to get some
>fur on her back and her sides!!

One of the things we've learned in our shelter is that if adrenal surgery is
performed when their adrenal is in remission, the doctor will probably not
be able to find a definite problem adrenal.  Since it takes at least a few
weeks, and usually more than that, for hair regrowth to begin after they go
into remission (or after removal), she was probably already in remission
before the surgery was performed and therefore, they found nothing.

Second, they often go into remission for no apparent reason at all.  As an
example, Flower, one of our shelter's ferrets, was almost totally bald.  She
had a few tufts of hair on her head and her legs, but that was about it.
Two or three weeks ago when I went to the shelter for my weekly litter box
scrubbing ritual, I was amazed to see Flower in a full coat!  She has had no
treatment which would account for this, it's just the way it happens some
times.  I hate to dash your hopes, but if in fact your little girl has an
adrenal problem, the symptoms will no doubt reappear.  It could be six
months or more down the road, but it's not likely the problem is gone
forever.

I'm not a vet, you understand, these are simply my observations and
understanding by listening to vets and our shelter operator who has lots
of experience in these matters.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.gate.net/~mjanke