From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:14:57 -0500
Re: Update on Tara
>on her way to a brand new life.  Maybe it's time to rename her from terror
>(Tara) to something else, something plucky, something strong, a fighter's
>name (Rex, perhaps?).  Anyway, that's the scoop....

I'm glad to hear she is doing well.  Personally, I think Tara is a
wonderful name.  If you check into Buddhist mythology, you will find a
"goddess" figure (Bodhisattva actually, IIRC) named Tara.  While she can
have a variety of aspects, by far her most popular and well known are the
bestowers of blessings and compassion - something I'm sure your Tara will
be if given half a chance!  :)

Re: Ferrets and Pregnancy
>Nobody answered my question so I'll ask again: Has anyone heard of a
>reason that pregnant woman should not be around ferrets?  Is there
>anything about cleaning ferret litter boxes like there is about cleaning a
>cat's litter box?

I would suggest checking the FML archives See the URL at the top of this
message.  This question has been raised in the past on numerous occasions.

Re: first time
>The challenge: Anyone else want to tell your stories of your first ferret
>sighting?  i bet some of you have some good ones!  It might be fun to share
>them.

The first ferret I met, was a little albino girl later named "Sam".  I was
present when a friend got her from another friend.  It seems the later
person's sister worked at Cornell where ferrets were used for behavior
studies.  I gather after a while the ferrets are retired from the studies
and this is where Sam came from.

Me, being a bonehead and a college student separated from all the animals
at home hence starving for animal contact, I stuck my finger in the
ferret's cage trying to pet it.  Now mind you, the animal had just got
given to my friend and I'm sure it was plenty scared.  I should have known
better, especially since I was bit by a rabbit in much the same fashion was
I was younger.  But I still stuck my finger in the cage.  Doh!  I got a
pretty good nip.  Drew blood and all.

Rabies and all the hysteria people go through now never occurred to me.
The ferret promptly brought me to my senses as to my stupidity to try and
pet a confined, scared animal.  I never held the bite against the ferret.
In fact when another friend told me a few years latter of all the antics
of his ferret "Frito" I couldn't help but to develop a soft spot for the
critter!

All this before ever seeing the "Beastmaster" or "Kidnergarten Cop"! ;)

-kim, pippi (scratch my shoulders PLEEZ!), atlas (food!!), jinx (love me!),
 and rosie (chase me!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.