From:
"P.Shumard-Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:59:10 -0700
>From:    Melissa Murray <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Pet Store VS Rescue Ferrets
>
>Roary <[log in to unmask]> wrote..
>>The best place to get ferrets, if you really love ferrets and aren't
>>totally doing it for yourself, is to rescue them from a shelter.
>
>Totally and incredibly not true.
>
>A small plexiglass enclosure that looked as if someone had made it by
>hand.  In this enclosure, were around four baby ferrets and one huge
>boy that was obviously so much older than the others.  He was suckling
>on the feet of the babies, and I knew this could cause damage.  I asked
>to hold him, and felt bloat that was obviously not from eating too much.
>How did I know this?  You could feel his ribs, pelvis, and spine.  He
>was starving.
>
>Now, I was determined to not get this ferret.  I was going to do just
>as everyone said I should and not buy from a horrible pet store so that
>they wouldn't get more ferrets to torture.  You know what?  They'd get
>more anyway.  They'd put them in with the existing ferrets, and that
>would be that
>
>That night, we rushed to the pet store and brought Kokie home.  We could
>have used the $150.00.  Trust me, it wasn't a 'oh, I want that weasel'
>purchase.
>
>Yes, go adopt shelter ferrets!  They need homes!  They deserve homes!
>Just don't put down or chastise those who do or have done pet store
>rescues.  Why?  Because sometimes you ARE meant to bring that ferret
>home.

In a situation like this (and they DO happen all too often), whare you
must act IMMEDIATELY to by buying one pet from a "bad place" to save
many, then I would say go ahead ... BUT!  As soon (and I mean AS SOON)
as you have printed receipt and erret in hand, go IMMEDIATELY to a
veterinarian ... preferably one at a regulatory agency wherever you
are ... humane society or whatever ... and show them the receipt that
you JUST purchased the animal, and from where ... let them examine the
poor creature, and then RIGHT THERE (!!!) FILE A REPORT!

That way, buying one from them will help to shut them down!

As for pet store rescues versus shelter rescue pets ... I RAN a ferret
shelter, and a number of the ferrets we got were gotten in just this way,
when funds permitted ... but ALWAYS included the hell-raising and report
filing and follow up to make SURE that it was taken care of.  Otherwise,
its not a rescue, just a choice.

Peri