From:
"Paula E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:05:55 -0600
I wanted to ask again for any advice regarding the introduction of the
3 month old Trixie to 6 year old Charlotte.  I posted last week, on
Charlotte's surprising reaction to another ferret, as she has always met
new ferrets with play and fun in mind.  She lost her buddy Kitka to adrenal
problems in April, and her activity dropped off considerably after that.
We wanted to get her a playmate.  Charlotte is a pretty old ferret, but has
always remained playful when actively engaged.  We just thought she was too
lonely.

Things are definitely better.  Trixie tried to snuggle up to Charlotte and
sleep with her today- Char would have none of that!  Charlotte is less
aggressive and we are only using positive reinforcement now to discourage
serious scrapping.  Charlotte chases Trixie and still scruffs her at times,
but it is less frequent and less forceful.  We are looking at 2 or 3
scruffs each day as opposed to 10 or 20 last week when we brought Trixie
home.  Although it isn't as difficult between them, there aren't any signs
of Charlotte's heart softening toward Trixie.

However, I worry this is simply too stressful for Char.  Her stools are
runny and today she didn't eat as much as usual-- (but of course she still
wants treats.) She hasn't made any friendly moves toward Trixie, just a
decrease in aggressive behavior.  The point was to get Charlotte a buddy
and I'm worried it isn't turning around the way it should.

The two people who were nice enough to respond to us suggested we get an
older ferret to give Charlotte a buddy closer to her stage in life.  I
don't want to give up unless it is necessary for Charlotte's health-- We
have fallen in love with this little bouncy girl!  We can't take her back!
For one, it would break our hearts.  Second, it simply isn't possible to
return her.  However, I feel like Charlotte has to be the priority here,
and I'm wondering if there is hope for a friendly relationship between
them.  Does anyone have a similar experience to draw from?  If so, any
insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paula