Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:24:00 CST
December 26 brought a most unexpected and deadly experience to our home.
Friends and I left to do "ferret" work at 11:30 pm and arrived back home
around 1:30-2.  The next few minutes were in slow motion.  As April and I
walked through the door April spotted Deno, my black eyed white older male,
on the floor.  As I looked down I saw he was laying in a pool of blood.  It
was as if I was floating towards him.  I gently picked him up to try and
revive him, but it was too late, he was gone, and not long before we came
home.  I checked him for any signs of punctures, bruises, saliva, and found
nothing.  April called Nancy and we took him to her house to bury him beside
Fara, Teddy, and Boogie.  I did not have a necropsy so we don't know the
cause, but from my description the vet (and Bob) thought it might have been
an ulcer or an artery had burst.  Several years ago Deno was found under a
rubbermaid tub in front of the animal shelter with a note saying "His name
is Deno and I can't take care of him any more please find him a good home".
I picked Deno up that morning.  Deno was the one I took to our Senate
testimonial hearing on the Kansas bill in 1994.  I have no idea of his age
but he was an older gentleman who brought joy and love into my life.

On a brighter note - I visited our local pet shop on Christmas Eve and
bought 3 older ferrets that had been there for a month.  I was saddened that
I could not buy all 7 (4 had been there a week).  Well, 2 that I bought are
gifts for others and 1 is mine so they are all in good homes.  It has been a
long time since I'd had babies in the house and since they are not caged I
keep waking up with Zena (the little girl) firmly attached to my nose, eye,
cheek, chin or other exposed part of my face.  She takes these flying leaps
onto my face when I'm sleeping.  It's pretty funny, painful, but funny!  I
just giggle and unattach her till the next time, which is usually 30
seconds.  She is learning not to bite so hard, but I'm just not good with
discipline, (am I Bob?).

My heart goes out to all who have lost or have sick fuzzies.  If you would
like our condolence packet please email me with your street mailing address
at [log in to unmask]  or if you need to talk please call me evenings at
(913) 456-8337.

Hugs to all.  tle