From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 22:58:39 -0500
Here is a short list that I collected of cities/counties/ states that have
quarantine periods for ferrets.  Some of the entries are rather old.  If
anyone has more or more up to date information, I'd really appreciate it.

On February 2, next Thursday, we are starting the process of trying to change
the existing NH policy on quarantine for ferrets into law.  Policies can
change too easily.  Law gives us something more solid.  A part of my
testimony to the NH House Committee on Envrionment and Agriculture will be to
list those areas of the US where ferrets are routinely quarantined.  I can
use all the help I can get on this.  I figure that the more places that do
allow quarantine by law, the easier it will be for the next state to accept
it.  NEVER AGAIN do I want to see a repeat of what happened in MD.

Someone asked about the legal issues.  I'm not the person to answer, but I
will try to get someone who has been involved in at least one successful
lawsuit to post here.   If you notice the first entry on this list doesn't
even require a quarantine.  This was an outcome of a successful lawsuit.  I
know of at least one other ongoing lawsuit, sponsored I believe by the NY
Friends of Ferrets.  The man who was successful in Minn. believes that that
may be the only successful way to get these murders to stop.  I'm beginning
to think he might be right.

Anyway, here is the list.

St. Lewis Park, Minn
No quarantine.  Ferret examined by qualified vet. and, if healthy, released
to owner

Athens County, OH
Quarantine for 10 days.  Examine by licensed Vet. after quarantine.

Cambridge County, OH
Quarantine unless animal was exposed to rabies.

Greene County, OH
Will not destroy a vaccinated ferret.

Vinton County, OH
Quarantine for 14 days.

Portage County, OH
Vaccinated ferrets may be quarantined for 30 days.

Allen County, OH
Vaccinated ferrets may be quarantined for 30 days.

Saint Paul, Minn.
No need to quarantine if ferret is healthy, history of confinement, not
inoculated with live rabies vaccine.

Jefferson City, MO
Quarantine for 10 days regardless of vaccination status.

State of New Hampshire
Department of Agriculture states that ferret would not be killed unless it
demonstrated signs suggesting the possibility of rabies.  May otherwise be
quarantined for 10 days.  This is a policy, not law.

Fairfax County, VA
Vaccinated ferrets, with history of confinement may be quarantined for 14
days.

State of Colorado
Vaccinated ferrets with history of confinement quarantined for 30 days.

Dick Bossart