From:
shirley miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:17:09 -0500
My first topic today is how much I enjoy the FML.  Sooo many knowledgable
ferret parents out there make me feel inadequate as a parent myself.  But
thanks to all of you,I am learning.

About 10 years ago, my son had an ugly, wild, stinky, mean litttle critter
running around his house, pooping everywhere and making the whole house
smell bad.  He told me it was a ferret and I wondered why anyone would want
such a thing.  His wife finally made him get rid of it.  He gave it too
another that knew nothing about them.  A little over a year ago I saw a
brown streak run through the door in my daughter's house.(Not too surprised
because they also have snakes, iguanas,dogs, cats, and many other animals at
times)  After she picked im up and introduced him, he burrowed in her purse
looking for his treats.  When the phone rang, he ran upstairs and knocked
the extension off in his masters (my grandson)bedroom.I thought that was
pretty cute and smart too.  I finally held him and he didn't bite.  I was
amazed.  By the time I left to return to Tx, I was in love with him.

A month later, they came to see me and brought my birthday present.  A BABY
WHITE FERRET COMPLETE WITH CAGE AND TOYS.  And 2 little phamplets, 1 page
each for instructions.  She didn't know much about them either.  I went to
my small town library-no info.  My closest bookstore(25 miles)-nobooks.  My
vet said he didn't know much about them either but he figured most cat
products would be OK.  I fed her Friskies kitten food (Ican hear you all
groaning)because I thought that was a good grade as opposed to some generic
junk.

_I didn't know there were other things I needed to learn_ !!  6 months
later,Ifound a small book "Ferrets as new pets".  It explained a lot about
the kind of food she should have.  I tried several and ended up with IAMs
because it was the one she finally ate after fasting several days.

_what I'm getting at is that most people don't know they need more
information_  The pet stores should be required by law to give more info on
any animal that needs any unusual care.  Most of us know about dogs and
cats.  The food was my biggest mistake that cannot be corrected.  She is
very small and I wonder if it is from malnutrition.  In the spring, I got a
computer and in June I got net so now I am learning from the pros.  She was
in my house about 10 minutes when she chomped my toe.  We tried several
methods but the one that finally worked was the flyswatter on the rump.  My
husband used to jump and yell and she thought he wanted to play.  When he
strted carring the swatter she finally Quit the lick, lick, chomp on him
also.  I still have to watch her when we have company.

About moving litterboxes around, Walmart and Dollar stores sell rubber
webbing for shelf liners in a small roll and you can glue a piece under the
box so it doesn't slide easily.  Instead of newspapers, I use a piece of
carpet remnant under the box and take it out and hose it off about every
week.  You could also put a piece of the rubber under the carpet to keep it
from sliding.

I eventually adopted my grandson's ferret because he was away at school and
the two played so good when we visited back and forth.  He's very good,
never biten anyone but this is his 3rd and last home.(my grandson has
visiting rights)

This letter has gotten too long.

Bye for now.

SHIRLEY (THE HUMAN)