From:
Tyler Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 09:14:16 -0500
Congratulations are due to Ayla!  Yesterday morning, Ayla "gave birth"
to a huge adrenal tumor....mother and tumor are fine.  Actually, my vet
found a lot more going on inside of her.  Not only did she have an
adrenal tumor, she also had a hernia that had to be removed, AND a piece
of ovarian tissue left behind from a botched (?) spaying 4 years ago.
The tumor, hernia, and ovarian tissue were all successfully removed.  In
fact, my vet saved the kidney tumor for me.  I came home late last night
to find the tumor well preserved in a small biopsy jar.  I brought it in
to work today to show my work associates.  Needless, to say...they
were/are HORRIFIED that I brought it in!!!  I can't understand it.  I
thought they would be as fascinated by it, as I was....especially since
they've been hearing about the trials and tribulations of Ayla for
months now.  Go figure.

Ayla does have a huge incision down her ventral surface.  The stitches
look pretty brutal.  Nancy, I must say, you are way on top of this
situation!!!  Everything you've said has been "right on the money"!  I
did have to set up a make shift ramp into the litter box last night.
She is very weak and very sore...as you would be if you had some doctor
taking an extensive road trip through your insides.  She is still,
"circling the airport" from the anestesia.  Although this morning, she's
was much more lucid.  I'm glad to hear that the prognosis looks good for
a full fur coat recovery.  A bald ferret is not a pretty sight!!  Also,
my vet did give me a prescription of Pred in which to slowly wean her
from this chemical.  I'm really looking forward to having her back to
normal and not having to worry about her anymore.  I'm also looking
forward to not having to explain to visiting guests why she looks the
way she does.  You know, "Oh my, what happened to her?!?"  or, "She
looks so...rat-like".

Regardless, I would like to thank everyone who responded to my email!!!!
I learned an awful lot about this condition and I will certainly be
ready if it should raise it's ugly head again.....look out Gooby!  Your
advise and related stories really helped to put my mind at ease.  THANK
YOU ALL!

Tyler Greenberg