From:
THOMAS D OSBURN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:34:36 -0500
Hi everyone:

I would like to blow off some steam with you guys as I now you would
understand.

Last week, my three year old male Rocky was diagnosed with a adrenal tumor.
The charges are as follows:

     Adrenalectomy, left ferret          $225.00
     Adrenalectomy, Bilateral ferret      450.00
     Adrenalectomy, right ferrt           270.00

     Amoxi drops  50 mg 15 ml              12.15
     Amoxi inj.                             0.00
     Antibiotic Injection 1-10#            12.15
     Injection-shock treatment             13.50
     Dexamethasone inj.                     0.00
     Fluids IV 1st bottle LR               22.50
     Cath.IV 22ga Feline indwell            4.50
     Histopath #1                          45.90
     Inhalation Anesthetic                 45.00
     Profile I (minor organ)               32.40
     CBC                                   23.40
     Biohazard Waste Disposal Fee           3.00
     Presurgical Physical Exam             22.50
Total for Ferret Adrenal Basics Only      237.00
Plus the Adrenal Variables                450.00 Both
Also stated additional charges for unforseen treatments

Truthfully, I did not hesitate, for Rocky would be given treatment
regardless of what the cost.

It was the attitude of the vet that really pissed me off.  I called this
morning to make arragements and asked if I could possibly give him $300.00
and pay the balance every two weeks upon payday.  His response was "Mrs.
Osburn, do you have charge accounts?" To which I replied, yes of course.
His answer was "Well, charge it and pay them off." My charges are pretty
high, and I felt that bringing my six ferrets to him for almost four
years, entitled me to some special treatment.  None of my six ferts have
ever had any serious illnesses and have only had normal check-ups.  These
normal check-ups do run up some very expensive charges.  I was so mad I
couldn't believe he would do this to me.  Ironicly, the estimate says "BE
ASSURED THAT THE HEALTH OF ROCKY IS OUR HIGHEST CONCERN AND WE WILL DO
EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MAINTAIN THAT HEALTH."

So I guess the almighty dollar outweighs the highest concern.

My problem now is, if any one in the South Florida area knows of a good
ferret vet, please e-mail me.  ASAP

Thanks to all for letting me blow off some steam.

Mary