Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:06:46 -0700
Hello FML'ers,

No one and no company is immune from this recession and my small
business is no exception. The frustration for me is that while my
ferret calendar meets or exceeds the sell through numbers of my
largest client (Borders) their orders have decreased these last
few years because they are hurting and are opening fewer stores.

This is really scary for me because it has nothing to do with the
qualify of my work, or even the demand for my calendar-- it's
completely out of my control. And publishing is, sadly, all about
numbers. If a press run drops too low it becomes just financially
impossible to publish. I believe that is why we lost Modern Ferret
magazine and Ferrets Magazine. I hope it doesn't become my story as
well.

So, I'm asking for your support this year. Please purchase one of my
calendars from your usual source, a ferret club, shelter, or on line
ferret business, THEN, if you can spare an extra $17.00 or so (estimate
includes tax), please buy one from your local Borders bookstore or Day
by Day calendar kiosk (these open in the malls each Nov/Dec and are
owned by Borders). They make nice holiday gifts for any animal lover.

You can find Borders stores that carry my calendar by visiting:

<http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?detail=olr&sku=0974786950>

Put your zip code into the Store Locator box and you can see where the
calendar is carried in your area.

This is really hard for me to write. I don't like asking for help but
I really love making my ferret calendar, even after 16 years. I'm
currently working on 4 more editions and have ideas for many more. I've
often told fiends and family that even if I won the lottery (I don't
play very often so that will really be a long shot), I'd still make my
ferret calendar. Photographing these adorable creatures is really a joy
but I can't afford to do it if the numbers aren't there for my press
run each year.

Hopefully we will see an end to this soon-- for all of our sakes.

Sincerely,
Jeanne Carley