From:
Rita Terrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:55:48 -0700
>Frankly, the idea of having a ferret destroy my landlord's carpet has me a
>little nervous.  Is it impossible to keep nice carpet in a place that has a
>ferret?
>Matt Romoser

Mine seem to think that a shut door is an abomination.  If they know the
door opens and it is closed they try to dig under it..  (Wether they really
want to go IN there or NOT.) They really can do some damage too..  even if
you keep the nails trimmed.  Nothing I could say or do will dissuade them
from this holy crusade..( and they are so reasonable normally..) But the
good news is that when I rent I cover the carpet directly under all of the
doors with clear plastic carpet runner I got from Home Depot.  This seems to
be no fun to dig at and Fiochmhar doesn't even try.  You can cut it to fit..
but make sure it covers not only just under the door but a little ways into
both rooms about ten inches or so..

(I hope somebody else answers this one with something that is less WORK but
this seems to do the job.)
                            Rita