From:
Wes Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:19:06 -0500
This is Susie Lee for all of us, furry and not furry at the Ferret and
Dove Sanctuary, Inc.

We've just had to say goobye to a sterling and lovable little nine and
a half year old gentleman-ferret whom you were already introduced to,
yesterday.

Little Prince Albert ferret was an exceptionally small boy-ferret with a
pale silver coat and almost-mitt, nearly white feet, but most outstandly,
he was a Gentle-ferret down to the last hair.  He would never pick a
fight, nor get involved in anything negative, willing to touch noses with
anyone and everyone and simply walk away if the other ferret objected.
He originally came to us just over two and a half years ago at the age of
7, from his first former owners who thought he'd be dying anytime soon
because he was 7.  He and his first cage-mate, Princess Isabel, who was
4, then, were adopted out to a couple who kept them for some six months
and then brought them both back because the wife was going to have a
baby.  Isabel got adopted back out to another young woman who was more
independant and that ferret and adoptor are still happy with each others'
company.  Albert stayed on, here and buddied up with the Grand Old Lady
Herself, the now 13 year-old Jazzmine Miss Boss who will be 14 this
coming January, 2006, if she so deigns.  Being the frailer of the two,
old Jazzy took care of her little buddy right well until he got whomped
by Hurricane Dennis' aftermath.  I've told how he was taken with heavy
wheezing and congestion to the Safe Harbor vet, well, for a followup, and
for wheezing and nearly turning blue, he was taken by Wes to the regular
vet for us at Ferry Pass Animal Hospital, today, given lasix for the
lung-fluids relief and Lactated Ringers solution sub-q there to stave off
dehydration and electrolyte loss from the lasix, also another antibiotic.
When he came home, he was still having labored breatheing, but not with
wide-opened-mouth gasping that he'd had before.  What we all wanted was
to see the little Prince be at ease and some comfort...I have recurrent
bronchitis and surely do understand what it's like to not be able to
catch one's breath...it's like continually running in place, you get
exhausted right quick and stay that way, So while he was at rest, we put
him in a single-ferret-cage and propped him up on several thick, soft
folded fleeces, in the same manner as I have to rest all propped up to
a nearly sitting position when I can't breathe (either).  At 7 p.m., it
was time for his new meds and a bit of liquified food and water, and he
was able to take everything with no stress at all...but he had a kind of
hiccupping-intake some every-two-to-four breaths that made me recall
dying terminal humans I used to professionally care for and comfort.  So
I check on him every 15 minutes while finishing up the last two cages
of other ferrets and other chores to do, and then, the 17 year-old cat,
Furbucket, is tapping at the door from where Little Prince Albert is,
she sees spirits as well as any cat ever does, and so I checked him at
that moment, 8:15 p.m.  he had ceased to breathe.  His little eyes were
closed, at rest and in the world's most perfect Peace.

Thank you for having been our friend, dear Little Prince Albert Ferret.
We miss you,already good and true GentleFerret that you are.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/ferret_rescuer/index.html