From:
Shannon Shaffer 1995 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:38:30 -35900
To All Ferret Lovers:

My name is Shannon and I have three ferrets...Franki (Dark, Sable, Female);
Whodini (Butterscotch); and Tommi Jo (Dark, Sable, Male).  I have a few
questions: First of all...has anyone ever had a ferret with a disease known
as "Hyperadrenocorticism"?  (spelling?) I have one - Whodini- who has had
one of his adrenal glands removed and a benign tumor on one of his
kidneys...the first sign of this disease was that he was losing his
hair...he ended up losing almost 80% of it...he only had hair on his sides.
He also was urinating a lot but had no loss of energy, or appetite.  I was
curious if there are any ferret lovers/vets that know if there are other
symptoms.  Because my Tommi Jo is starting to lose his hair now also but
only above his tail.  I just don't want to have to go through the surgery if
at all possible.  Whodini is on some medicine now that destroys the
"affected adrenal tissue" that causes his hair loss...even after the
surgery.  He gets it every three days, but it isn't available where I live
so I have to send for it every month.  The vet said this disease (One of the
possible causes) is that the ferrets were spayed/neutered too early in life.
In Montana where I got these ferrets the pet stores have them "fixed" before
they sell them...or at least they used to.  So a suggestion...wait for your
loved ones sake.

Also, does anyone have a cure for ferrets that will use the litter box when
in their cage and using anything when convenient?  I tried putting them in
their cages when they have an accident...but if I always did that they'd
never get out :) Any suggestions..will be appreciated.

And finally, my Franki and Whodini are the best of friends and want nothing
to do with Tommi Jo...Tommi Jo doesn't seem to get along with any other
animals, do you think that perhaps another ferret for him to pal around with
would solve the problem, or is he better off being a loner?  He likes people
well enough, he doesn't bite us, but doesn't get along with the other two
ferrets...unless their in the bath???  Go figure.

Shannon Shaffer
Elementary Ed./Physical Education Major
Jamestown, ND

[Moderator's note: Strongly suggest you read the FAQs about this too. BIG]