From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:41:24 -0700
This was not a good weekend...

Luke is not doing good.  He was diagnosed with Helicobacter last week.
He hates his meds, hates food, hates soup, hates baby food... but hay,
he's drinking water!  He now weighs 1.11 pounds.  I don't know... I don't
think he is going to make it.  He doesn't want to be held or laying in a
nice warm place... Yet I see in his eyes that he doesn't want to give up
either... just that everything hurts and that he is so tired....

He will be going in tomorrow for a check up with our shelter vet and to
get an x-ray done to make sure there isn't something else there...

Drake crashed Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  His crashes are different
though... Sunday wasn't bad but the others were... Normally he crashes
and it's like he is in a coma.  He throws up about 45 min.  into it and
then just lays there... takes about 4 hours.  Now... he arches his back
and gasps for a couple breaths... then settles back down.  He will do
that for about 40 minutes... plus he still throws up.  It seems painful
now.  We can't give him any pain meds when this happens since he can't
really swallow.  So it's a matter of holding him and keeping him warm
and comfy.

He will be going to the vet too tomorrow.  I don't know what she can
do or say... cause tomorrow he will act just fine.  His problem is
neurological, not insulinoma nor his heart.

The two starved kits that we got in from the humane society will be going
home this weekend to their new mom and dad.

We adopted out 3 ferrets.  One pair and 1 single girl.  All are doing
great in their new homes.  We only have 1 pair left that doesn't like
other ferrets, then singles - Sadie and Luke (medical hold).  Drake and
Nibbles will be with us permanently.

Once all adoptable shelter kids are gone we will close the shelter.
Though I don't see us really closing.  LOL Just way too many kids that
need help.  May just foster kids for other shelters here... or help out
other ways.

Today (Feb 9) would have been my moms 62nd Birthday..... My dad, sister
and I went out to her favorite restaurant on Saturday... My parents
went there for their birthdays and anniversary every year... and we will
continue that...... I do miss her... so very much...

Scooter found a home... he is now at Mary's house!  Yep, staying there.
Decided that he was doing good there and even playing with 2 of her boys!
So, Mary gets to adopt him!  .... now... just how am I gonna hitch a ride
to do the home visit?  LOL I'll get there someday!

Thank you all for listening to me blabber away.

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
"Ferrets are the Spice of Life"
Shelter:  www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz