From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:47:53 -0500
Tanana asked about buying ferrets that were kept in cedar shavings:
Cedar and pine shavings are supposed to be a longterm (more often than short
term) problem.  You wondered about whether it was bad to buy a ferret that
was kept in the shavings.  Well consider the other side.  Isn't it worse to
leave the poor ferrets in cedar shavings?  If you purchase the ferret you
are knowledgeable enough not to keep the poor critter in the harmful stuff
so it is in a sense good to buy a ferret in cedar shavings and help the poor
dear breathe better later.  I know you were really asking about whether the
ferret will now be defective or something.  As I understand it the effects
are more built up over time.  The less time a ferret has been in the
shavings the less chance of serious damage.  Most of us with ferrets have at
some time bought a ferret from a pet store that used either pine or cedar
shavings.  If you get a chance though a simple solution you can propose to
stores that insist on shavings for ferrets is to switch to aspen.
Unfortunately they cost more so many stores will not change, but think about
the ones that will and work for what good you can do.

Cindy asked yesterday about ferrets with eyes open at two weeks: Thats
earlier than any I've seen.  We've seen usually 3 to 5 weeks depending upon
circumstances.  Only eye problem we seem to get is eye infections.  Dr.
Kawasaki has supplied us with an ointment that clears these problems up
quickly.  I mention this because I think but have not collected the proper
data that I might have seen more of these problems in those with earlier
open eyes.  This is a porr feeling and proper data might actually show the
opposite.  The eye ointment is prescription only and I don't have the tube
handy to type in the name.  I can supply this through email to anyone
interested.  Of course remember I'm not a vet, my grandfather was.  I'm only
a lucky breeder.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets