From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 07:31:17 -0400
In light of recent events, I've decided I better do my homework on fighting
a possible siezure of my ferrets (who are nippy) NOW.  I do know that NY has
an automatic kill and test policy in place regardless of vaccination
history.  I was told by the health dept that this is because the shedding
period is unknown, so theoretically, they could already be incubating the
virus at vaccination time and not be protected.  I don't want to have to
always keep my fuzzies away from other humans and don't think I can
guarentee that they won't ever nip someone else easily.

Since I'm going to have to do research anyway, I'm considering putting
together a ferret rabies resource website for others to use.  Unless there
is something like this now, (is there?), but I haven't come across one like
I'm thinking of.  The sort of things I'd like to put on the website: -Online
and downloadable files with facts on the disease and fighting autokill
policies.  Legal info, statistics, case studies, etc., etc.  Tips and
suggestions on what folks should keep handy (copies of vaccination
certificates, copies of local laws...)

-Lists of resources such as groups fighting rabies auto kill policies (by
state), links to other online rabies websites (like health dept, CDC, etc.,
contact info (of course) for the Morris Animal Foundation Rabies Shed Study
donations.

-Anything else I come across that looks relevent and useful!

If folks could send me anything they have on this subject it would be
greatly appreciated.  Send me your stats, your links, your suggestions, etc!
If you need to send stuff snail mail, just contact me via email first.  If
you are forwarding me a copy of (or reference to) someone elses work, PLEASE
if you know, tell me how to get in touch with them so I can get permission
to post it on the web.  If it's an article from a magazine or newspaper,
please include when it was published and contact info for the publisher.  If
I can't publish the piece, at least I can refer people to it.

BIG: Could you post the FML numbers that have rabies related info/resources
in them?

Putting it together will probably take 2-6 weeks (I did the original website
for the company I work for, so I do have stuff to cut and paste.) Meanwhile
I would be willing to forward info I have to others (electronically) by
hand.  IMO if it helps even one ferret not be killed it'll be worth it!

Thanks in advance everyone!  I'll post here when there is a useful page to
visit.

[Moderator's note: The list of FML's that mention rabies is huge.  Maybe a
good keyword would help... hmmm... any ideas?  BIG]