From:
Barbara Laugesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 06:44:56 -0400
I don't post often, but after an article I read in this past Sunday's
newspaper, the keyboard called out to me.  This doesn't doesn't pertain to
ferrets per se, but animals in general out in CA.

This article was in regards to the San Francisco area SPCA and the *notion*
that they were going to live up to their namesake, St. Francis of Assisi
(who just happened to be the patron saint of animals).  According to the
president of SPCA they would no longer euthanize any animal that was healthy
or had a treatable disease.  They would be put up for adoption.  This same
president (Richard Avanzino) said he felt it was unconscionable as well as
abominable and outrageous that beautiful, healthy, and well-behaved animals
were euthanized!  Now they are stating that they find this practice
intolerable.  I couldn't help but wonder which *species* of animals this
pertained to.  Is it only dogs and cats, or all animals?  I think they need
to call on their patron saint for guidance!!!  Apparently, according to this
article, they have been taking in adoptable animals that couldn't find homes
since 1994!!???!!!  They (SPCA) was supposed to have signed some kind of
pledge (with whom?) agreeing to take in these animals.  They had been
serving as animal control for SF until 1989.  From that year on, they were
suppose to concentrate on saving animals' lives!!

Maybe I overreacted when I read this article, but it made my blood boil.
From what I have read of St.  Francis of Assisi, he would have protected ALL
animals.  If they find that euthanizing animals is intolerable, why are they
sitting back and not fighting for the rights of all the beloved ferrets that
are on their own back door.  I felt this was a very self-serving article.
Who did it benefit and why?  My socks would have rotted off with my anger if
the little fuzzbutts hadn't already taken them off for me:))

Thanks for letting me vent.  Love and hugs to all fuzzies and special
thoughts and prayers to those ill and to Kodo.  We love you!

Barbara

Freedom, life, and the pursuit of ferrets forever!