From:
Pat Scherschel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:39:56 -0500
Subject:  Worn out Fuzzies

Hi Gang!   Scherschel zoo here.

Boy, did my group ever have a fun-filled day today.  I work at a local
middle school and two brothers deliver newspapers in my addition.  They once
saw my sign in my front window that says "Beware of Ferrets" and asked me
about them.  I invited them over to visit.  Both boys have come several
times just to play with the fuzzies.  Today the ferrets got the work out of
their lives.

The boys' favorite thing to do is see how many ferrets they can stuff in the
clear dryer tube at the same time.  It is a riot!  Ferrets escaping
everywhere.  Of course, the tube is not long enough to stuff 9 ferrets into
but the boys sure try.  Today one of the boys asked if we had a harness for
them and low and behold we did.  Two actually.  I don't walk them on
harnesses much because they don't like it and we usually just take them
outside two at a time and follow closely behind.  But today I dug out the
harnesses and we proceeded to take ferrets out two at a time and let them
play.  Naturally they wanted to go everywhere but where the boys wanted to
go.  Everyone got a turn except Weasey and he was sound asleep under his
dresser.  He's my sicky boy so I didn't want him to catch a chill.  Today in
Indiana it feels like spring so what better time to let the fuzzies out to
romp and play.  Everyone had a ball.

After we came back inside the boys decided that they wanted to get all the
ferrets in our "huge" two-tiered cage at the same time.  ( the cage never
gets used because they are all free roaming) We have the cage because we
bought it for Weasey when he was so sick and thought he would prefer it but
he loves his hiding place.  We keep his food in there and have a piece of
cardboard over the exit with a hole cut in for ferrets only.  (cats kept
eating the food) Of course, everyone had already headed for their sleeping
spots after being exhausted outside so the search for ferrets began once
again.  Little by little ferrets were added to the cage.  We even woke up
Weasey and put him in there.  For the first time EVER all nine ferrets were
in the cage at the same time.  I got a picture of that momentous occasion.
Some crawled immediately into the hammock to resume their nap and Bubba, of
course, kept trying to eat the bars and dug to be let out.  (You see the
cage is Bubba's jail when he picks on the cats too much and has to have a
time out) We quickly took the picture and opened the door.  It wasn't long
at all before the cage was once again empty.  I probably won't see them
again for hours.

The boys left behind VERY tired but content fuzzies who are probably
dreaming of their big adventure outside.

Lots of love and kisses to all,
Pat, Bubba, Weasey, Emmet, Mooky, Madie, Mitzi, Opie, Timmy, & Casey