Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:15:45 -0400
>From:    "Pamela Freeze" <[log in to unmask]
>Anyone ever have ferrets that don't get sick? How do you do it?

I lost a 9 year old in April, and currently have another 9 year old
who was diagnosed with Adrenal and lymphoma in April. Both ferrets had
never been sick previously. They have free roam in a room and never get
any artificial lighting unless I have to go into the ferret room at
night. Both were feed a high quality kibble (The last few years Chicken
Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul) until they both switched to partially
cooked ground chicken "soup" and stopped eating the kibble. Neither was
vaccinated after 2 years of age. I believe that played a role in their
long span of being disease free and old age. Overvaccination and the
use of chemicals and poisons can,and does, affect the health of our
pets. It is but one part of it, but a bigger part than a lot of people
are willing to open their eyes too.

While on that subject I would like to mention for those that do not
know, if you get a ferret of an unknown vaccination history and it is
older than 20 weeks of age, it is unnecessary, useless, and harmful to
do a 'series' of vaccinations. The series of vaccinations is only given
to young animals that may still have maternal antibodies that interfere
with a vaccination 'taking'. If the animal is past the age where
maternal antibodies would still be present, there is no need for a
series, and subsequent vaccinations can actually lessen the immunity
and you could make the animal more susceptible to the disease you
are trying to protect it from. I believe some people and even some
shelters, still do a series of vaccinations on an older ferret and
the ferrets do not need this added stress, and the money for the
unnecessary vaccinations could be spent where it actually is doing good
instead of potential harm. A series is not necessary at all actually.
One vaccination after 16-20 weeks of age would assure almost 100% of
all ferrets vaccinated would be past the maternal antibody stage and
the vaccine would be effective. I don't expect people will start
forgoing the series any time soon though, just like annual boosters are
still recommended, despite information showing that is an unnecessary
and harmful practice.

Maybe some attention to the things we can change that affects the
health of our pets (diets,vaccinations, chemicals/poisons, husbandry)
would go a long way in lowering the numbers of unhealthy animals with
diseases and health conditions that are considered 'normal'. Ask
older people about how they used to raise their animals and the lower
incidence of diseases back then, and the answer is there as to why
health problems are on the rise.

~Amy~