From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:06:43 +0100
To Sheila:

>...I started feeding my gang of rescued ferrets on Companion's Choice
>ferret food just over 12 months ago.  I entered about 20 ferrets in various
>classes at the 1998 National Ferret Fair and only one was placed in his
>class.  At that time I was feeding a different brand of complete food.  At
>the NFWS 1998 Christmas Show I entered 18 ferrets in various classes and
>came away with 3 first, 3 second and 4 fourth places.  My lot had never
>done so well at a show before, obviously the change of diet suited them...

What complete food were you feeding?  A complete ferret food?  Or a
"complete" cat food?  As I said in my reply to Mark Orvad, the Ferrets
Choice diet reminds me of a mink diet.  Mink are bred and raised to have
good coats so no wonder that your ferrets' coats improved.  But the
improvement of the coats doesn't necessarily mean that it is also doing
good inside the ferret.  I don't think you can praise the food until you
have had good long term results with the overall well-being of your
ferrets.

>...Mark's Company is absolutely great towards the ferret rescues, they do
>their best to help, they don't expect cash up front before they'll deliver
>a supply of food...

Does that make the food a good food?  As I see it, Companion's Choice are
a relatively new company who will do anything to get their new product to
sell.  And what is better than getting the rescues on their side?  So of
course they will roll over backwards for you.

>...I've started using Z-Megamore Plus for a treat and nail clipping,
>most of them love it.  BTW it's brilliant for their coats...

I tried it as well.  Some of my ferrets violently shook their heads as if I
was trying to poison them and the oil ended up on me.  I also do not like
the bottle, the oil dripped all over the place while I tried putting some
onto their stomachs.  I think I stay with olive oil for clipping their
nails.  But if you're broke all the time, how come you can afford that
expensive oil?

From Sheila's second mail:

>...I wish to state here and now that the only ferret food that is
>endorsed by The National Ferret Welfare Society is "Ferrets Choice"...

I have been to the NFWS web site and have seen that the NFWS recommends
Ferrets Choice.  This is partly why I am hesitating to join.  I do not like
the fact that the NFWS recommend only one food, especially a food that is
disliked by many ferrets and ferret owners.  Who is the NFWS?  Who has the
power to decide what the society recommends?  Doesn't the NFWS also include
all members?  Have you asked them if it's okay with them that you recommend
the food and no other food?  Or does the NFWS only recommend the food
because they are sponsored by Companion's Choice?  What is this about?  The
welfare of ferrets and their well-being or how nice a company is?

Best regards,
Rob