From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 10:18:19 EDT
>Oh, and since there has been some confusion on another point of kithood
>in the FML.  I have been told by a breeder I know (but do not know from
>experience) that ferret eyes are typically still closed till a bit over
>four weeks.  Breeders, could you clarify?  What do you see with the eyes?
>Sukie

Hello everyone,

To clarify Sukie's comment, what do you see with the eyes?... Its very
simple.  Kits open their eyes right around 4 weeks of age.  This yr I had
one little girl "Smidgon" who did not open her eyes till 5 weeks old.  she
was the runt of the litter, by the way.  Her two sisters and one brother
opened their eyes at 30 and 31 days, Smidgon just wanted to wait I guess.

When Kits are born they are pink (even colored ones), naked (no fur) and
eyes closed.  You can see color on the kits within a week, as their fur is
starting to come in.  Between new born to about 2 1/2 weeks they grow at a
slow pace.  At that age 2 1/2 weeks on they really start gaining weight and
size.  By time they open their eyes, (lots of other animals open their eyes
at 10 days, like bunnies, kittens, and puppies) they really start looking
like ferrets.  Even while the kit's eyes are still closed, they will want
to crawl around their cage, and mom drags them back, this is an on-going
thing between mom and kits, and can be very funny to watch, as the kits
yell and complain every step of the way.

I also go in with duck soup from about 2-3 weeks on.  Yes they can't see
the dish, but they sure can find it.  they will dive in and eat and just
make a general mess, leaving mom to clean it up.  Often one has to help an
extra messy kit by taking a damp wash rag to her/his face and neck and wipe
of the excess food that got stuck.

Kits are so much fun to watch them grow up.  We have three kits that we
added from two litters this yr.  Our newcomers are: Critter and Rascal, who
have ZERO manners at this time, and are just a blast.  These two give a new
meaning to the word energy.  And little Smidgon the runt.  I even held back
her first distemper shot, since she is so tiny.  Smidgon is just gonna be
one of these petite little ladies like her aunt Sassy.  Sassy weight in at
the vets last month at 1.1#.  she is healthy and eats like a horse (TF
naturally).

Well i better get my crew ready, they have a vet appointment this morning
(well 6 of them anyway) to get their rabies....gonna be interesting taking
that many in at once.  I normally do it in 2's and 3's..I guess i am just
getting braver...LOL

Hugs to all the fuzzies...
Mini and her gang of "11"
Grumpy and Cheyene...the silvers
Bandit and Goldie
Dakota and Speedy (Speedy is our only MF ferret)
Marge and Sassy with Marge's baby Smidgon
Critter and Rascal (Goldie's babies we just couldn't give up)

Ferrets "R" Fun Shelter and Rescue now sells TF in the Albuquerque area
contact me via email or you can call me at 898-5961, if i am not in just
leave a message and I will return your call within 12 hrs.