Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:17:26 EDT
>From:    Vicki Montgomery  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret love - dumb  animals?

Vicki, how sweet you are. I must confess that as I read your post to
was laughing so hard that tears came to my eyes. You were right on
target at every point you made.

Being of an animal species (Homo Sapiens) myself, I find it amazing,
how similar other animal species are to us in the areas of basic needs
of life. "Dumb Animals?" I think not. "Sentinel Beings?" Maybe.

The sad truth of the matter is, Western "Man" considers himself to be
the ultimate creation, when in fact, that distention lies somewhere in
our Universe. The American Indian had a much better grasp of the truth;
They spoke of themselves as part of or belonging to the earth. They
never spoke of owning the land nor being its' master. They also revered
the strengths, prowess and intelligence of the animals they shared the
land with, and they paid homage to those strengths by naming their
children for those animals. Learning the language and customs of a
people different than your own, allows one to grow as a person.
Conversing in their language, and understanding the significance of
their customs makes their friendship and interactions all the more
enjoyable; are our animals due any less consideration? What one
receives from any relationship is directly proportional to what that
individual gives to that relationship. My dog, cats and ferrets are an
integral part of the sum of my being. Am I more or less than any part
of the whole? I think not. Everything I contribute is returned many
times over.

Do animals talk to us? We who have learned to listen, know that they
do. Those who have not learned, or are to "dumb" to learn, will never
enjoy the true joy and companionship that other beings have to offer.

Thanks, Dooks and Blessings,
Rick White