From:
Julie Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:28:50 EST
>Oh boy do I know about this one!  We were recently with American Family.
>When my husband and I looked at upping our renters insureance, the agent
>said we'd be denied coverage.  Why?  Ferrets.  Why?  Don't know.

Ok, at the risk of being lynched, I'll admit I am in the middle of taking
my insurance producers exam.  By the end of June I should be a fully
licensed Insurance Agent.  (That is, if I can get through the 2.5 hour
exam!)  I've been working for a really great agent here in NH for about
a year now.  He's been in this business for a LONG LONG time (Since 1977!
He loves to remind me that he was writing insurance before I was born
LOL)  So, here's my take on this one...

Ya'll need better agents!  There have been rumors of a "black list" of
dogs for insurance companies.  Let me just verify that this is not a
rumor.  It's a real list, and I have one.  The list does not end with
dogs.  It goes on to include some reptiles, and even material items such
as trampolines (if you have one, dont let the insurance company find it!
LOL) and yes, exotic pets are also a question on our apps.  When I run
down the questions, I tend to generalize.  "Woodstove?, Pool?, Dogs or
exotic pets?"  I don't specify, I read it exactly how it is written by
the company.  Since ferrets are not considered exotic by many people (and
many vets) and are quickly becoming more accepted, it doesn't enter into
some peoples mind to claim them as exotics.

Now, as for the "blacklist", there IS room to play and negotiate.  As I
said, you need the right agent.  One that is willing to actually call
the company.  A smaller agency with an agent who has been in the business
long enough will have a good relationship with his/her underwriters.  I
have the phone # that connects directly to the desk of our head
underwriter for Peerless Insurance.  I can (and sometimes daily, do) call
her for "referrals".  For instance, if I were to submit an app that lists
a Doberman, it would get thrown back at me with a vengeance!  However, if
I take all the info, call the underwriter and say "Hey, I have a couple
here that need homeowners.  Have owned the home for 10 years, never filed
a claim.  Real nice house, nice neighborhood ect ect"  She'd say "What's
the catch?"  Well ok, they have a Doberman.  BUT!  It's 5 years old, has
been 100% obedience trained (certificate included) is never loose and has
NO bite history.  I go to the house, take a picture of said dog..  say...
playing with the kids ;-)  The underwriter may hem and haw..  But she
usually gives in and says to send the app to her attention.

My point here is, there is hope.  Grab the phone book and ignore the
big flashy ads.  Find an agent that is willing to work for his/her
commission!

Jules
Owned by two ferrets, 1 cat and living in a VERY insured apartment ;-)