From:
Craig Lovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 04:19:05 -0600
The recent postings about the third-party distributors got me thinking
about ECE.  Almost four years ago, I brought Cotton home from a local
Petco.  Three days later, I was at the vet with my girl Fuzzy, who had
mushy stools: ECE.  My vet brought her through it after a few days in the
hospital.  At the time, I found it incredible that an MF ferret brought
ECE into my home; but the delivery path that ferrets take from Marshall
Farms to a local Petco explains how Cotton got ECE.  Fortunately, Cotton
was only a carrier.

Now, I'm wondering if there is any way to test those distribution places
for ECE contamination?  I thought that Dr. Williams had said that there
was some evidence for a virus causing ECE.  I'm also thinking that it
might be prudent for the distributors to keep the ferrets from the
various farms completely separate; might be possible to determine which
farm(s) may be carrying ECE.

Craig