From:
Weasle Queen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:09:56 -0500
Anyone having sugery on their ferret who has Insulinoma, PLEASE read
this!!!!  Normal protical for DOGS and Cats Is a 8-12 hour fast before
surgery.  This is NOT so for ferrets!!  I've gone round and round with
vets on this suject.  My old vet and my current vet both agree that
ferrets especialy with Insulinoma "SHOULD NOT" be fasted more than 1-2
hour prior to surgery.  Reason being that if their BGC is low to start
with, fasting them any longer than 1-2 hours will throw them into sugar
shock, causing them to seize and become comatose.  I sugest that everyone
talk to your vet about bringing their ferret in just before surgery.  As
by the time they are ready to operate 45 minutes to 1hr will have past
(ths will be their fasting time).  The vet should make sure that they
have a Dextrose soluyion IV on hand if they need it.  Ths is how we did
it with Zini for his surgery and he came out of it fine.  Surgery is
suposed to help, NOT kill them.  Try talking to your vet about trying it
this way instead of the old fashion way.  The life you SAVE may be your
ferrets!

WEASLE QUEEN