From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 05:59:14 -0700
        Hi there -  Rocky and Sqeekers live in an FFZ so I probably should
remain anonymous for now, even though they are well enough known in our
neighborhood and among friends.  Really enjoy the FML.
        Saturday's (10/8) Ask the Globe had the following question and
answer from A.W. in Boston (Not us):

      " Q. Your column recently stated that pet ferrets are illegal in
Massachusetts.  What's the reason for this? What other popular pets in
Massachusetts are illegal?
        A. According to Tom French, assistant director of the state Division
of Fisheries and Wildlife, pet ferrets were originally outlawed because of
the lack of a rabies vaccine for these animals.  Such a vaccine became
available in 1991 and both the division and the Massachusetts Society for
the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals have supported a change in the law that
would legalize ferrets as pets. A bill is currently in the House Ways and
Means Committee.  Other pets commonly commonly kept illegally in the state
but which Fisheries and Wildlife officials do not recommend, are monkeys
(frequently carriers of herpes or tuberculosis), raccoons and skunks."

        Our experience is that ferrets are a LOT more common than monkeys,
raccoons, and skunks, and that their pupularity is growing.  R&S have
enlivened our lives now for about six years.  It used to be that no one knew
what they were, but now the most common comment is that they know someone
else who has one.  Veterinary service is not hard to come by, our local vet
says that they may see one or two per week over an average year.
                                        W.M. from anon