From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:54:17 -0400
Karen wrote:

>If you can't afford to put aside $1000 per year per pet, you
>should consider not taking it into your home.  While I can come
>up with money for vet care, I don't have that kind of money set
>aside right now... Guess what I decided?  No more pets for me
>until I have done at least that much for the ones I have.

I commend you and I can relate.  We wound up without income in the
on-going recession of the last few years (a not uncommon position in our
area).  Sure, we have savings but the economic situation requires tighter
budgeting, so we are keeping our ferret numbers lower than in the past by
not adding more because we certainly are not going to scrimp on their
medical care which is the only alternative.  Accepting a ferret into the
family means accepting responsibility for the animal having what is
needed and that means economically budgeting for them as well as
accepting the other essential responsibilities involved.

Anne wrote:
>If you go to a ferretry and the conditions are bad, report it.  Every
>municipality in the USA, the UK, and Canada has someone you can make a
>report to.  Animal Control, the SPCA, the RSPCA, even the local health
>department.  If you aren't sure, call a local vet and ask them.  If you
>don't report it, you are as guilty as the breeder.

Yes, and if they have sold even one ferret to a retail establishment then
the USDA also can respond.  Thanks to one wonderful vet and a marvelous
person at the USDA the actions of the USDA to help ferrets have greatly
improved recently.

It is important for shelters to have friendly interactions with animal
control officials beforehand because they can then help each other when
a bad situation is discovered or reported.  The thing about hoarders and
those who care only for profit is that if they are prosecuted then they
are more likely to be able to be stopped from repeating their actions
(thus saving even MORE ferrets), but everyone does need to keep in mind
that laws vary greatly among the states.

*****Has it struck anyone else that people are wasting a LOT of energy
being angry at each other here on the list INSTEAD of being angry at the
hoarders and other abusers while applauding those who are doing something
constructive AND those willing to learn how to be even MORE constructive?
I don't refer to all of the arguments; some have some strong foundations
though they do too often become tiresome, but others just seem to be
folks on edge who are misdirecting anger and frustration at easy
targets.*****

http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2003/09/the_return_of_d.html
"Be careful, Sarah Jane, there might be timelords in that link!"
(Believe it or not, that altered quote IS a ferret reference though
most folks won't get it, but anyone who does WILL want to read the
link.)

--Sukie