From:
"Maria C. Moreno" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:32:22 -0600
Hey folks--

I posted over the weekend abut my ferret, Ed, vomiting.  Well, After a trip
to the emergency for sub-cutaneous fluids everything turned out well.  It
appears he was "just sick," as opposed to having a blockage or something.
But, let me tell you what I learned from my experience.  When one one of
your weasels gets sick unexpectedly, all rational thought disappears.  I
could not get a hold of any ferret knowledgeable people in my area, and my
vet was closed for the weekend.  So, the lesson in this is to plan.  Talk to
your vet about who to contact if your ferret gets sick after hours.  Find
out which emergency clinics in your area treat ferrets, and compile a list
of phone numbers of ferret knowledgeable in your area.  I cannot put into
words the desperate, helpless feeling that filled me when Ed got sick and
there was nothing I could do.  If I had planned ahead, I could have saved us
both a lot of stress.  On the upside of this fiasco, I now know of a good
emergency clinic, and have the phone numbers of people who can help (Thank
you Meg and TLE).  Please prepare for an emergency, it could save your
ferrets life.

Respectfully--
Maria, Ed and Gizmo.