From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:50:17 -0400
>From:    Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
>Anyone know why shelter's complain and when I offer support they don't
>want it?

I've probably been accused of the same through the years.  Let me give you
a little incite.  Do you know how many offers I get?  Lots.  I've had at
least a dozen in the past year just to do rescue.  Do you know how many
of them actually followed through at all?  NONE.

Rescues have lots of people contact them all gung-ho about doing rescue, &
offers to do this & that.  Let's face it, most people think it would be
cool to say they're involved in rescue & have lots of ferrets.  I take the
time to explain what it like, the pros & cons, & then never hear from them
again.  Rescue work & working w/a rescue isn't for everyone.

Then there are the people who actually do start to foster.  Do you want
to know how long that lasts?  Between 6 months & a year before their life
suddenly gets too busy to be able to clean another cage or 2.  Then the
rescue is faced w/the dilemma of having to find a place for more ferrets
that they thought they already had a place for.  But of course that's not
a consideration or concern for the foster home, they just NEED to get rid
of them.  Sometimes they get rid of their own at the same time.

And did you ever consider just how overwhelmed the rescue is?  Should they
just drop everything to accommodate what you'd like to do?  If you want to
do something - just do it.  Don't wait for a pat on the back about what a
wonderful thing it is you're doing.

You may very well be the one sincere person who actually wants to make a
commitment to a rescue.  Then prove it rather than just posting a note
complaining about not getting the attention you want.

I'm sorry this is a little harsh, but it really struck a nerve w/me.
From a foster mom to the new ferret mom in AK.  Please get your little ones
spayed/neutered.  You've already been given all the reasons why.  I have
one more to add.  On more than one occasion I've know people who have
gotten into breeding.  It only lasted a couple of years before they not
only didn't want to breed any more, they wanted to get rid of all their
unneutered/unspayed breeders.  Whole ferrets, or even a love of ferrets
are not a reason to breed.  Breeding takes KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, & TRUE
DEDICATION.  You don't even know why Bandit is terrorizing the girls.

Pat Baby is a very dear friend of mine.  Some of you had been corresponding
w/her about angora ferrets.  She wanted me to send out a note to you
because she is no longer on line & since her system is dead w/no hope of
resurrection, she doesn't have the names & addresses for me to contact
directly.  If you'd like to correspond w/her snail mail, please drop me
note & I'll give you her address - she'd like to hear from you.

Dear Randy & Lynn,  I wanted to publicly say thank you for your concern &
your generosity.  It really does means more to me than I could ever express.

My best to all the fuzzies & their dedicated keepers.

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis)  n.   1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
2 Info about ferret care & ownership.   3 What a ferret does.
4 A collection of ferrets.   5 A direct result of ferret math.
/That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./