From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:45:41 -0500
Lisa-Maris Blohm wrote:
>i believe someone mentioned that they knew a way to make baby gates
>impassible by furry little demons? mine deterred them for 2 months, got
>curious, learned how to scale them, and then i put a towel over teh gate
>which bought me another 2 weeks. i'd love to hear suggestions.

I found that baby gates aren't even good at keeping babies out, if the
baby in question has even a modicum (very tiny amount) of brains and can
see at least reasonably well.  They see how the gate is opened and the
rest is history.  Ferret are no dumber than a baby.

Best bet is to measure the doorway from side to side.  Next, measure the
inseam of the shortest person in the house.  If the weasel warriors are
never allowed in the room on the other side of the barrier, you can put a
step-stool on the other side (the non-furkid side) to assist shorter
people in getting over without singing soprano.

After taking these measurements, you should add about 1/2 inch to
the side-to-side figure, then go to your nearest
we-offer-everything-for-the-home store, where they have a saw section to
cut wood to size.  They should also have a glass/plastic cutting area
nearby.  Get a sheet of plexiglas (or Lexan, if you can afford it) and
have one of the happy employees cut it to size for you.  Take the extra
pieces home, in case you find a use for them, too.

Next, buy a furring strip (very thin strip of wood, used to put spacing
behind paneling when installing it).  You don't need to get more than one,
as you will only use a couple of feet from this strip.  Also pick up some
finishing nails (yes, that's what they are called!) to mount the furring
strip.  You might also want to get a sheet or two of coarse sandpaper for
smoothing the furring strip to prevent splinters.

Take your purchases home and sand down the furring strip until it is nice
and smooth.  Cut two pieces from this strip that are just a bit shorter
than the top-to-bottom measurement.  Carefully nail a piece of strip to
the inside of your doorway on each side.

Next, flex the plexiglas until you can fit it into the doorway, with the
furring strip on the non-weasel side and the bowed section pointing to the
weasel side.  By putting the bowed section pointing into the weasel area,
they can't run up against it and push it through.  The furring strips on
each side keep you from accidently pushing it through when stepping over.

You should wash the plexiglas from time to time, to keep it clear enough
so they can see in and keep track of you, and *you* can see them if they
are lurking just on the other side of the barrier!  :)

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/