From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:23:50 -0800
Hi.

I'm trying to help someone whose ferret is having difficulty urinating.
She needs a referral for a ferrert experienced vet ASAP, someone
experienced in adrenal surgery who could diagnose the situation and proceed
to surgery if it's needed.  She has an appointment at the Animal Medical
Center but is there anyone specific she could see (Karen Rosenthal doesn't
seem to be there)?  Or anyone else that anyone recommends?  She's in
Yonkers, New York or Westchester County.  Here address is
<[log in to unmask]>; her name is Christina and her fur kid is Bandit.

I've given her a little info on what to try if there is a total urinary
blockage, and given her Troy Lynn's number.  Troy Lynn was a true savior
when our Gadzook blocked seemingly without warning, giving us tips that
allowed us to get him unblocked, after which he was wisked in for a Lupron
shot the next day, and started on amoxi, though a urinary analysis found
little sign of infection.  He then received surgery within a couple days;
the vena cava had to be ligated due to an invasive right tumor, and both
adrenals were removed; he's doing great as of eight months, furry, fat, and
energetic on just 1/4 tablet of florinef every second and third day.  Also
I let Christina know that, if Bandit did block, it would be an urgent
situation and would need emergency vet care ASAP, if he couldn't be quickly
unblocked at home with slight heat and gentle massage.

Anyway, I've tried not to be too alarming as ferrets can go some time with
partial urinary blockage, but she's correctly trying to get Bandit in ASAP
to an experienced vet (she's been to an inexperienced one who prescribed
amoxi but couldn't get a urine sample for analysis) so his treatment can
begin.  Our Gadzook blocked without warning so, once there's danger of
blockage, I look at it as a Russian roulette game, and move as quickly as
I can to remedy the underlying problem.

Lynn

P.S.  Still running the Ferret Adrenal Insulinoma Mailing List (FAIML)
at about 470 subscribers.  Drop an e-mail if you'd like more info.