From:
debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 05:41:41 -0800
Lisett (and others who feel Chris is the wrong person for this quest),

You said that Chris's quest would be a conflic of intrest because she
is a small private breeder as well as a shelter/rescue. I beg to differ
and this is why. (These reasons are not just for Petco, but for any pet
shop that sells ferrets.)

1) Rescues/shelters that breed on the side EDUCATE prospective adoptors
on handling, food, litter, maintanence & medical care of the ferrets.
Does Petco do this? Not any I have frequented. They show you suplies
they feel you should have to add money to the sale, box up the ferret
and send the person on their way.

2) Rescue/shelters that breed on the side usually have adoption
contracts that state if for any reason the adoptor can no longer
keep/care for the ferret (at any time during it's life), that it MUST
be returned to said rescue/shelter that breeds on the side. This is so
not to burden other rescues/shelters. Does Petco do this? Not to my
knowledge, they have a 7day return policy though from date of sale.

3) Many rescues/shelters that breed on the side have strict adoption
guidelines (for their rescues and privately bred ferrets) they follow
to ensure that the ferrets will be well cared for. My guidelines have
been talking to the possible adoptor for at least a week as well as
them purchasing and reading "Ferrets For Dummies", doing a vet check
reference, if the possible adoptor rents-I need a letter from the
landlord stating a ferret is ok to be living on their property, and I
have home visits done to make sure the home is safe for the ferret.
Does Petco do this? NO, they are just selling ferrets to make money.
They don't give a rats ass about if or not the ferret will be well
cared for and happy.

4) Rescues/shelters that breed on the side make sure their ferrets are
handled and socialized with people and many times with their own pets.
Does Petco do this? Hell NO! If the kits come into the store and they
are bitty, they very rarely get handled and when they are, most use
gloves. They will only get handled "IF" the person in charge of them at
the store owns ferrets and know what the hell they are doing. Usually
the person in charge of taking care of the ferrets is a kid and knows
very little about ferrets if anything at all. (Many don't even know
what a ferret is. I had over heard an employee one day explaining to a
customer that a ferret was a species of CAT!, Believe me, I DID correct
this person.)

5) Rescues/Shelters that breed on the side will make sure that ferrets
in their care are UTD on the canine distemper shots. Does Petco do
this? Very rarely. Many of the Petcos will still have ferrets for sale
at the age of 6months that will only every have one CDV vaccine and
that was givin at time of shipping to the store.

I hope you are getting my point here.

The only confict of intrest is that Petco is out to make money and will
sell a ferret to the 1st person who has money at hand (Unless of course
the employee is a real ferret person who cares.). A rescue/shelter who
breeds on the side does not. If they feel the person won't be a good
owner, guess what, that prespective owner leaves empty handed. If Petco
as well as other pet stores were not legaly able to sell ferrets
(puppies & kittens too), our shelter system IMO would not be over
burdened and there would be less homeless pets. Here's something else
to think about...........How many ferret rescues/shelters out there
(whether you breed on the side or not) are overwelmed with more
privately bred ferrets that ferrets from the ferret mills? To my
knowledge there are more MF ferrets in our shelter system than PV
ferrets, Tripple F ferrets, etc. and even privately bred ferrets.
In 11yrs of rescuing I have only had 2 privately bred ferrets
surrendered to me.

Debi